sPhErEsCaPe

sPhErEsCaPe
by Me (Acrylic on Canvas)

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Winter Sports

So as you may or may not know, we have some pretty interesting winters in Nova Scotia, weather changing from minute to minute almost and this winter is certainly no exception. With this winter supposedly going to be one of the worst in the last 50 years, things are starting to take shape and are bringing about some interesting situations.

I received a digital video camera for Christmas and decided to put it into action the other morning at 5 am when some genius decided if he floored his gas log and hard enough he could defeat the mighty sheet of ice cover the entire expanse of our driveway and parking lot.

This "genius" decided that his best route out of out parking lot, which incidentally has two entrances / exits, was up the sharp incline of sheer ice over an ice encrusted speed bump onto another incline.

After about 20 minutes of fighting inches, the whole while flooring the gas and squealing on ice, he backed down and lost a few feet each time slipping ever closer to parked cars.

Finally after about 30 minutes of this he made it out but not before waking up the whole side of the building and I also obtained 5 minutes of footage of his idiocy.

Not days later while getting ready to head out for a bite we scanned the driveway to get our bearings on the weather and witnessed several cars sliding down the driveway heading for our car, four , to be exact. Fortunately for Shelagh's mother, they were able to spread a half ton of salt on the parking lot to resolve the issue.

It was your pretty standard, come around the corner and it's sheer ice to your surprise, type of scenario, that didn't go horribly wrong. The one thing that did make me laugh my ass off was this guy in a 1/4 ton truck.

Although I witnessed his generous act of helping the original slider get out of her predicament, he used less than stellar judgment when trying to make it up a hill of ice, especially after witnessing a 2 ton salt truck with studded tires slide 20 feet backwards, another true genius, good at heart but clearly not thinking with all cylinders firing.

The one time I truly worried is when a big van came around the corner and slid a very close to the top of the chain that ended with Shelagh's mom's car being severely crushed.

Everyone got out of it with their vehicles intact with no harm done but it will make a great You-Tube once I figure out how do download my footage to the computer lol

I'm sure I'll have more stories, as the mess that we call winter, takes shape, who knows, in a couple months, I may be living in an isolated winter land so I guess I best get used to these crazy winter sports.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tsk.. I came over and showed you how to dump video... so where's the youtube pictures?

BTW, you still owe me some kitty video as well.